The Volterra Asylum was located in 1887 within the former workhouse in the town of Volterra, primarily to reduce the flow of patients into the hospitals around Pisa.
In 1896 the hospital started to expand its capacity building a new pavilion housing 200 beds.
The Hospital actively sought to admit patients from the surrounding areas building halls for 500 children and peaked in 1939 with a population of 4794.
During the 1970’s patient numbers slowly declined and by 1978 with the passing of Basaglia law the reform of the psychiatric system in Italy, reintegration back into society began.
Current Status - Abandoned